During my trip to New York, I took Good in a Room by Stephanie Palmer with me. Stephanie worked with MGM and supervised several multi-million dollar films, including Legally Blonde. She has a lot of experience in meetings and hearing pitches from screenwriters. She decided to take what she has observed in meetings and give readers a few tips.
I enjoyed the book and got a lot out of it. Although, I'm not a screenwriter, I did take to heart much of what she said but tried to think how I could apply her suggestions to web pages and routine meetings. I also particularly enjoyed the chapters on the subject of networking. She talks about how it is more important to sit down with one person for an hour rather than 6 people for 10 minutes each. If you've been talking an hour, then odds are you will get along with that person should you work together. Well, that happened at our conference. In fact, we ended up talking with a guy for over an hour and a half. We enjoyed the conversation immensely and made a genuine contact.
I have to say this is the kind of book that causes you to look back on past experiences and say "what was I thinking?" I was embarrassed by myself when looking back at some of the things I've said or done in meetings.
I've been out of town the last few days. I was at Marketing Sherpa's Selling Online Subscriptions Conference at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in New York. It was good. I don't have much time but here are some highlights of my trip. Many of them may not make sense to you but they will serve as a reminder to me. Read if you like....
- Windy day in Nashville. Departed an hour late.
- Kraig lost his cell phone.
- The subway on the "6" to lower Manhattan was closed on Sunday.
- Walked through Central Park.
- Hot dog from Hot dog stand.
- Smitty and Kraig nearly died.
- Walked to Brooklyn Bridge.
- No bathroom for Kraig (Starbucks closed - McDonald's Employees Only).
- Hotel had billing problem.
- Kraig Got his phone back from cab driver.
- Time Square, Bubba Gump's Shrimp, Another Starbucks.
- Museum of Jewish Heritage.
- Mets game at Shea Stadium.
- Fat guy sleeping on subway car.
- Early walk through Financial District.
- Federal Reserve.
- St. Paul's.
- Trinity Church.
- City Hall
- Stock exchange.
- Federal Hall.
- The Bull.
- Observed Staten Island Ferry.
- Viewed Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island.
- St. Patrick's.
- St. Barts.
- Rockefeller Center & Promenade.
- Late departure from La Guardia.